Aswarm (public arts org) and Artist & Sound Designer: Thor McIntyre-Burnie
Thor McB: Creative Director of Aswarm (Public Arts Org ) and Swarm Sonics (Sound Design Company). Aka: Thor McIntyre • Thor McBurnie • Thor McB • aswarmthing
CURRENT PROJECT YOU CAN SEE:
2014/15 has been, as ever, too busy to update the website, but below are some hi-lites..
AWARD WINNING: – ‘Best Temporary Installation Project’ Winner 2015. Thor McIntyre Burnie/Tannoy (Wind Tunnel Project) – ProSound Awards 2015 See more at: http://www.prosoundawards.com/award/#sthash.MDprjTyI.dpuf
• The Speakers new commission opens in Kosova 10th -13th Sept 2015. Right in the centre of the capital Pristina , next to the PM’s office! & the national hero statue of Skenderbeu. A new commission for the first year of Kosovas’ first & only festival of Art in Public Space: HAPU (more info on The Speakers Page)
The Wind Tunnels Project,
7th June-20th July 2014.
Farnborough, London UK. – An extensive site specific solo commission to re-awaken 3 vast spaces, open to the public for the first time. http://thewindtunnelproject.com/
New Short Doc film about Flying Into The Dawn – made by ShyCamera:
THE SPEAKERS - An evolving project which adapts to each new location & time. Adding new layers of content and new forms of interventions into public space.
• 29/30th Dec 2014 @ Burns Birthplace Museum> Ana That Festival> Scotland.
• 31st Oct-2 Nov 2014 @ BELGIUM. Samhain Festival & Klankenbos Sound Art Forest, Neerplet. - Art Trail Commission by TAKT Dommelhof and Musica Impulse Centre for Music. Here long term old collaborator and artist Toby Jarvis re-enters the fold (Aswarm). - Here’s a sneak preview of the location in the midst of the worlds only sound art forest Klankenbos. incl: a sealed glass cube called Tacet, the forest around which The Speakers will occupy, along with a new element of Voice Responsive Light Fences, inspired by WW1‘s Dodendraad (‘Wire of Death’ dividing Belgium and Holland).
• 5-9th August @ LaStrada, Graz, Austria. Opening the day Britain declared war on Germany 100 yrs ago, in Arch Duke Ferdinand’s home town, in this special version I collaborated with Austria’s leading WW1 Historian Helmut Konrad, a team of 9 Historians co-ordinated by Stefan Benedik, gathering half the content from archived texts (much of which previously unpublished) from the Hinterland during WW1, contextualised with the Tweets from current zones of conflict & resistance. http://www.lastrada.at/en/programm/thor-mcintyre-burnie-gb/
• 14th-22nd June 2014. @ Oerol Festival, Island of Terschelling, Netherlands. Europe’s leading festival for site-specific art set in the environment. http://www.oerol.nl/festival/programma-a-z/
Here responding to the WW2 bomb crater forest clearing, we asked visitors a related personal question and over 10 days their input gradually replaced the content anew..
The Body-less Soldier & Rites of Rubble. Site specific Installations in Gunpowder magazines of NEWHAVEN FORT : - part of WW1 project Home Fires with Zap Arts & Inrounds Productions.
TOURING EXHIBIT _ THE BODY-LESS SOLDIER. - An exhibit Touring WW1 Museums & Centres in UK. Featuring a mix of Interviews with Blind War Veterans (WW1 Centenary Oral History Project)
Opened with a Summer Tour incl London City Festival and Autumn dates below
FLEETING: – BRIGHTON FESTIVAL FINALI - Sound & Fire Installation & Performance, inspired by Starling Murmerations. Collaboration with Mandy Dyke And Now
RITES OF WAR : touring Choreographic Performance.
- A collaboration with Darshan Singh Bhuller, Lindsey Butcher’s Gravity & Levity and BBC Afghanistan Correspondent David Loyn.
Rites of War – Spring Tour Dates:
May 1st,2nd & 3rd at Stratford Circus, London https://www.stratford-circus.com • May 13th & 14th at The Lowry, Salford http://www.thelowry.com • June 4th & 5th The Lighthouse, Poole http://lighthousepoole.co.uk/rites-of-war • June 15th, Mobilsation Festival at Kendrew Barracks http://a4r.org.uk/events/mobilisation/ • For Autumn Tour Dates – watch this space!
Photographer Credits: Shaun Jackson (Flying Into the Dawn)