Aswarm (public arts org) and Artist & Sound Designer: Thor McIntyre-Burnie
Thor McB: Creative Director of Aswarm (Public Arts Org ) and Swarm Sonics (Sound Design Company). Aka: Thor McIntyre • Thor McBurnie • Thor McB • aswarmthing
CURRENT PROJECT YOU CAN SEE:
2014/15 has been, as ever, too busy to update the website, but below are some hi-lites..
AWARD WINNING: – ‘Best Temporary Installation Project’ Winner 2015. Thor McIntyre Burnie/Tannoy (Wind Tunnel Project) – ProSound Awards 2015 See more at: http://www.prosoundawards.com/award/#sthash.MDprjTyI.dpuf
(Video above is 1st part of the 3 building Installation, the rest is here )
• Stanmer Speaking: Giving voice to the role & history of a unique public park space, via one of its oldest residents, a 1000+ yr old Yew Tree. Extending the Yew branches to the ground, as they would naturally grow & re-sead up anew, copper pipes resprout vocal gourds, cyphering the many voices that use, live and work this place.. Stanmer Park, Brighton, UK. 25/26th Nov 2015. (Zap & Inroads Productions commission)
• The Speakers new commission for: Marseilles Travellings Festival by Lieux Public & INSITU, France: Opens 25-27th Sept 2015. -Content focus on question of ‘What is a refuge for you?”. Working both with local residents & users of Parc Deand the Refugee (more info on The Speakers Page)
• The Speakers new commission for Pristina, Kosova 10th -13th Sept 2015. Right in the centre of the capital Pristina , next to the PM’s office! & the national hero statue of Skenderbeu. A new commission for the first year of Kosovas’ first & only festival of Art in Public Space: HAPU - Sponsored by The British Council & INSITU (more info The Speakers Page)
The Body-less Soldier & Rites of Rubble. Site specific Installations in Gunpowder magazines of NEWHAVEN FORT, UK : - part of WW1 project Home Fires with Zap Arts & Inrounds Productions. April 17-22nd 2015
TOURING EXHIBIT _ THE BODY-LESS SOLDIER. - An exhibit Touring WW1 Museums & Centres in UK. Featuring a mix of Interviews with Blind War Veterans (WW1 Centenary Oral History Project)
BELOVED: Sound Design Collaboration with one of UK’s leading Aerial Theatre companies Scarabeus:
Touring UK: Summer Tour incl London City Festival and Autumn dates below bOing! Festival, Canterbury 29 August 2015at 1pm and 3pm South Hill Park, Bracknell 12 September 2015 at 3pm and 7pm Bell Square, Hounslow 26 September 2015 at 2pm and 6.15pm
The Wind Tunnels Project
7th June-20th July 2014.
Farnborough, London UK. – An extensive site specific solo commission to re-awaken 3 vast spaces, open to the public for the first time. http://thewindtunnelproject.com/
New Short Doc film about Flying Into The Dawn – made by ShyCamera:
THE SPEAKERS - An evolving project which adapts to each new location & time. Adding new layers of content and new forms of interventions into public space.
• 29/30th Dec 2014 @ Burns Birthplace Museum> Ana That Festival> Scotland.
• 31st Oct-2 Nov 2014 @ BELGIUM. Samhain Festival & Klankenbos Sound Art Forest, Neerplet. - Art Trail Commission by TAKT Dommelhof and Musica Impulse Centre for Music. Here long term old collaborator and artist Toby Jarvis re-enters the fold (Aswarm). - Here’s a sneak preview of the location in the midst of the worlds only sound art forest Klankenbos. incl: a sealed glass cube called Tacet, the forest around which The Speakers will occupy, along with a new element of Voice Responsive Light Fences, inspired by WW1‘s Dodendraad (‘Wire of Death’ dividing Belgium and Holland).
• 5-9th August @ LaStrada, Graz, Austria. Opening the day Britain declared war on Germany 100 yrs ago, in Arch Duke Ferdinand’s home town, in this special version I collaborated with Austria’s leading WW1 Historian Helmut Konrad, a team of 9 Historians co-ordinated by Stefan Benedik, gathering half the content from archived texts (much of which previously unpublished) from the Hinterland during WW1, contextualised with the Tweets from current zones of conflict & resistance. http://www.lastrada.at/en/programm/thor-mcintyre-burnie-gb/
• 14th-22nd June 2014. @ Oerol Festival, Island of Terschelling, Netherlands. Europe’s leading festival for site-specific art set in the environment. http://www.oerol.nl/festival/programma-a-z/
Here responding to the WW2 bomb crater forest clearing, we asked visitors a related personal question and over 10 days their input gradually replaced the content anew..
- A collaboration with Darshan Singh Bhuller, Lindsey Butcher’s Gravity & Levity and BBC Afghanistan Correspondent David Loyn.
Rites of War – Spring Tour Dates:
May 1st,2nd & 3rd at Stratford Circus, London https://www.stratford-circus.com • May 13th & 14th at The Lowry, Salford http://www.thelowry.com • June 4th & 5th The Lighthouse, Poole http://lighthousepoole.co.uk/rites-of-war • June 15th, Mobilsation Festival at Kendrew Barracks http://a4r.org.uk/events/mobilisation/ • For Autumn Tour Dates – watch this space!
Tue 28 Oct, 8pm & Wed 29 Oct, 4pm Landmark Arts Centre, Teddington
Fri 14 & Sat 15 Nov, 7.30pm The Point, Eastleigh
Sat 22 Nov, 7.30pm The Riverfront, Newport
Photographer Credits: Shaun Jackson (Flying Into the Dawn)